Read on to see what's changed...
The old format
The new format
- The Shopping and To-do items have merged. "Conveniently" still located near the top of the page to encourage you to take a gamble with verbal shopping.
- The 8 music/books links have been merged down into one. But how often is anyone actually subscribed to 5+ consecutive music services anyways? Most interestingly these have been bumped to the top. Playing music through the Echo must be the most popular.
- Timers and Alarms have merged. Which makes sense - they're essentially the same thing. They've also been bumped further down the page as a less important feature.
- Smart Home is a new item, and an important one. One of the core visions for the Echo has it as the interactive computer that controls all the devices in your house.
- Help and Feedback have merged.
Like most of us, I'm fairly hesitant to accept change to things I use every day. But sitting here analyzing the changes I can't really find myself disagreeing with any of them. The new UI is actually substantially better.
So let's dig into some of the merged pages and take a look...
The Smart Home interface used to be buried in the Settings tab where most users were never finding it. It'll be good to bring that functionality into public light.